Sunday, January 20, 2019

Kitchen Reno

 I've been planning on giving my kitchen a little cosmetic makeover since I moved in. In the past I've stated on here that I don't like to paint real wood furniture, but these aren't original to the house and are brand new stock cabinets. They're not special.


 Besides painting all the cabinet doors and drawer fronts, I added wainscoting, new hardware, baseboards and little corner guys. The very best part of all this is that I did everything completely 100% by myself! This is a big kitchen, it took me about 2 months! I understand it could've taken me a lot less time, possibly within a weekend I was told. But I have dogs, the holidays were happening, and I rarely have an entirely free weekend. It's so much brighter in here and I still get super giddy when I look around!


I'd like to grace y'all with the presence of what my kitchen looked like before.




I decided to do it now after discovering how cheap electric sanders actually are! (like $12)


  I used Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer for all surfaces since the actual cabinets are laminate and you should paint laminate with chalk paint. Zinsser is my go-to for painting laminate furniture. 



This is the look I've been getting from my very needy dobe for the past 2 months. He's really happy I'm done. He probably thought he wasn't going to survive.



This is the cleanest I've seen my kitchen in a long time! This is how it's looked for the past 2 months and I'm really glad I get to cook in it again!



The end result was so worth it!










I'm really glad it's all finally done! I could not have done it without The Home Depot! They provided all the materials and cut some of my wainscoting after I realized I forgot how horrible I am with a jigsaw. I also had to cut my baseboards long ways to make them shorter to fit with the lines of the cabinet overhang because whoever built this kitchen was not baseboard friendly. The paint I used was Rustoleum Chalked in the Chiffon Cream color. 



Stay tuned