Thursday, January 1, 2015

5 Before and After DIY

These are 5 easy and small DIY projects that anyone can do. One of my favorite things about old objects is that people think they lose their function when newer technology is made.
They're so wrong! I love showing people what they can do with their old things that are taking up space. Here are some ideas.
Most of these are taken from my iPhone so excuse the quality and black borders.

1. Wooden Display Shelf Turned Spice Rack
When my father was in high school shop class he made this shelf to hold and display the little hand made guitars that my great grandfather made. It had been collecting dust in my parent's garage my entire life. So when I moved I took it with me. We were in need of a spice rack and I thought this would be perfect. I first ripped out all the nails that the guitars perched on and got some wooden craft rods to hold in the spices and nailed them to the shelf, and that's all I had to do. I hung it on the back of our pantry door, which ended up being a mistake after closing the door a few times and it falling off, spilling dill everywhere, creating what I call a "dill-zaster."


2. Ikea Wall Frame- Chalkboard
I had a horrible time trying to find a mirror to go in this frame from Ikea it wasn't even funny! The next best thing I could think of was a chalkboard. I already had the paint, but it can be found at any hardware or home improvement store. 

 3. Washboard Cabinet  feat. my feet


This is one of my favorite projects yet! I found this washboard at a thrift store and bought it right away. I picked up an old composite wood coffee table that I just couldn't save. The drawers however, were in great shape! I took one out and took off all the tracks and the front face. The washboard was a couple inches too short so a small filler piece had to be added to the left side where the hinges were attached to. The washboard got a nice cleaning and simple staining revealing the old company label.   

 4. Boring Washer and Dryer Made Pretty feat. my husband B.C. (before contacts)
When you have a laundry room in your house instead of the garage there's only a few options for colors. All I did was paint on a stencil. Simple as that.

 5.Dresser Turned Bench Makeover
The person I bought this from had already made changed this from a dresser to a bench and didn't get around to finishing it. The ugly brown had to go! A clean white paint job with a little color added to the details. I hope to find different drawer pulls and a seat cushion to really finish this off.